Monday, October 11, 2010

What an introduction

"My book will no doubt be flawed in many ways of which I am not yet aware, but there is one "sin" that I have intentionally committed, and for which I shall not repent: many of the arguments are not rigorous, at least as they stand. This is a serious crime if one believes that our mathematical theories are merely elaborate mental constructs, precariously hoisted aloft. Then rigour becomes the nerve-racking balancing act that prevents the entire structure from crashing down around us. But suppose one believes, as I do, that our mathematical theories are attempting to capture aspects of a robust Platonic world that is not of our making. I would then contend that an initial lack of rigour is a small price to pay if it allows the reader to see into this world more directly and pleasurably than would otherwise be possible."

- Tristan Needham, from the intro to Visual Complex Analysis

A great introduction that gives hope to a reader who picked up a book on an interesting topic, worried it might be a little over his head (namely, me)

No comments:

Post a Comment