Friday, May 22, 2009

Taking in and expending calories.


So... I thought I'd explained everything about Kenya in my last entry, coke in glass bottles, it's great. But, I figure everyone wants to know a little more.

Well, here's a picture of the view I was talking about, you can compare it to the Willamette Valley (from the Oregon trail), and you'll see just how right I was.



(Maybe you can't tell, but there is a mountain in the background, actually it's a dormant volcano! That's might be interesting in blog posts to come)


So... here's what's new, I've still got no roommate, so it's just me, making a mess of the place. I've been cooking most of my meals myself, usually it's just something like grilled onions, garlic, and beans. (Maybe it's for the best I don't have a roommate). There's a small cafeteria-type place at the hospital, and sometimes I go there for lunch, where I can get about as much african food as I want for about a dollar. Like the other day, I ended up getting ugali (which is like mashed potatoes, but made from corn flour), anyway, I had ugali, beef stew, vegetables (think cole slaw minus mayonnaise), chapati, mandazi, and a coke. I went a little overboard, but I love those foods! 

And as I walked out with my two plates into the dinning room everyone was looking at me, possibly because I was the only white guy, and I was eating by myself, but also, equally as possible because I was embodying the american spirit of Joey Chestnut, and wolfing down 2 huge plates of food with a ton of hot sauce.

I also played basketball with some kenyans the other day, and then just yesterday I found a pick up soccer game with some of the staff from the hospital over at the RVA gym. (To explain, RVA is Rift Valley Academy, a large, really nice boarding school that's also in the village of Kijabe. Kijabe really only has the hospital and RVA.) Anyway, it was nice to meet some of the people who work at the hospital, as most of my time is spent in the IT dungeon. But more on that in a later update!!! (maybe!)

1 comment:

  1. Long Live Joey Chestnut...U....S...A...U...S...A
    How should I pronounce Kijabe for future reference.

    ReplyDelete