Thursday, March 4, 2010

Eating in Kenya

This blog post is dedicated to my sister Lesley, who was intently wondering what I'm eating here in Africa.

Today I went to the cafeteria (where I usually go for lunch), and ordered my usual: chapati, vegetables, and coke. (Chapati is like flat fried bread, and the vegetables are mainly cabbage and carrots) Well, the vegies weren't ready yet, so I changed my order to chips and samosa (chips are fries, samosa's are meat filled fried things, think triangular hot pocket).


I sat at a table with some Kenyan guys, who were eating a more traditional meal, Matumbo and Ugali. (Matumbo is cow stomach stew, ugali is a thick pile of corn starch and water). I don't usually go for that. Also, I don't usually just eat chips for lunch, oh well.


The cafeteria has a local family of cats that go around the outside seating, trying to get food, there are probably 4 of them. Also, birds are known to swoop in and steal a fry from an unsuspecting luncher, it's hilarious, these birds know no fear.


Also, just so you guys don't get left out, after my first lunch, I went up and ordered the usual (again)! Vegetables with a little beef stew (with potato!) and a chapati rolled up with a fork through it. The total for all the food I got was around 150 Kenya Shillings, which is a little over 2 dollars. which isn't bad for what would normally be 2 meals! (I'm feeling very stuffed after eating it all).


I've also become friends with the kitchen staff while I'm here, and they let me walk through the kitchen and I took this panorama! The kitchen staff is great, they're looking at me like I'm crazy in this picture though.


3 comments:

  1. You need a large helping of Matumbo and Ugali. Think of Dad's stew that we fed Goldie that one time. Also, if you are Dad, don't read that last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post. Cow stomach is surely tastier than cow heart or cow tongue, but that's one that Gran missed--guess it wasn't sold in the stores in Tulsa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That panoramic shot is money. It's my screen saver. More panoramic pics.

    ReplyDelete