Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sports (Not related to Huey Lewis)

So... I've taken to playing a number of sports here in Kijabe. I'll give you the list.

Tuesday: Touch Rugby, I've never played rugby before, but I'm getting the hang out it. It seems easy enough, pass the ball, run around. It'd probably help if I had cleats, I might buy a cheap pair in nairobi.

Thursday: Indoor Soccer. This is probably my favorite, soccer in the gym at RVA, they've got small goals to play with, and it's usually 6 on 6. Very intense, very active, and my lack of cleats doesn't hinder.

Sunday: Basketball. There's a group of Kenyan guys who I've started playing basketball with. My basketball career starts about 5 months ago, playing with carl or john liberatore. But let me tell you, in Kenya, I'm great. I sink every shot, I put up pretty good defense, I can even dunk, and once I torn down the basketball rim, a la Shaq. (Those last 2 aren't true, but I'm not that bad)

Also, on Sunday I found some people who play Ultimate. It's not exactly a high quality game that they play, but at least I've found somewhere to throw a disc around.

Also, last weekend I went mountain biking. My neighbor is big into mountain biking, and has an extra bike, so he let me ride it as we went down some trails around kijabe. It was great, I'll go and take a picture and post it sometime. I never knew mountain biking was such a blast. We biked to a nearby village (called Old Kijabe Town) and the kids would run after us, for up to 2 kilometers practically. Anyway, we took a break, and one of the kids was a young girl, probably like 12 years old, wearing a hand-me-down shirt, in the middle of this poor town, and the shirt said "Nothing's better than shopping."

Kinda makes you wonder about the life of clothes huh? Talking with my neighbor he said you also see a lot of t-shirts for the teams that didn't win the big games. (Since T-shirt guys make "winning team" shirts for both sides so they can sell them right after the game) Maybe all those Ohio State College championship shirts are around here somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! That's so great that you made it to Africa! Sorry we lost touch for a few weeks, I'm stoked to here you're getting your sport on so fast from when you got there! It's great to hear that play civilized sports such as ultimate still. I'd like to get on a team if they had anything like that over here in Okinawa. :-P

    YOU'RE IN AFRICA!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete